Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"Pucker Up" and "Yarn Laces"

Well, as you can see it has been a few days since I have written anything.  Colton has been sick with a nasty cold.  The perfectionist side of me is feeling super guilty for not doing well with my activity goals this week; the realistic side of me felt it wasn't possible.  Here are the details of what I DID do this past week.  Enjoy!

Friday, September 28th - "Yarn Laces" - Colton loves playing with yarn, and since I knit, there is always some extra yarn I can scrounge up for a game.  Today, I was ambitious and decided to make cardboard shoes with yarn laces, just for Colton to play with.  I realize he is too young to tie shoes, but I figured he would have fun with it anyway.  I used a hole punch to punch three sets of holes in two cardboard "shoes", and then laced the yarn through the shoes and gave them to Colton.  I also gave him some yarn and showed him how to wrap it around a box (simple and silly, but remember, he does love yarn).  Unfortunately, this activity was beyond the capability of my toddler.  As you can see from the picture below, he just ended up frustrated and wanted to move onto something else.  Oh well- maybe in a few years when he is learning to tie shoes I will bring out the cardboard shoes again!


Sunday, September 30th - "Pucker Up" - Every night before Colton goes to bed we say family prayer.  Colton knows to fold his arms, bow his head, and close his eyes during prayers (which is adorable to watch, by the way).  After our prayer, we give eachother a kiss before we go to bed.  It's the routine.  Anyway, tonight Colton was holding his stuffed chicken (as in "stuffed animal chicken") while we prayed, and he wanted us to kiss the chicken too.  So, we kissed the chicken goodnight as well.  Oh boy, was that hilarious!  He could not get over how funny that was - he kept wanting us to kiss his chicken.  Then, he brought us numerous other stuffed animals to kiss goodnight, and we all had a good laugh about it.  This was one of those "Ah, I love being a mom" moments.  That usually happens for me when I decide to "go with the flow" in a given moment, and I am rewarded with my toddler laughing uncontrollably, or telling me he loves me, or showing me he has finally learned something that I have been trying to teach him for months.  Maybe this is a sign that I need to chill and let myself be more flexible in my day.  It certainly pays, as I was reminded today.

P.S. - Colton does wear clothes sometimes.  Don't be fooled by the pictures;)

Monday, October 1st - "Nature Walk" - I know we have done this activity before, but today I took some cute pictures of Colton collecting leaves on our walk.  He loves collecting leaves and rocks.  I love discreetly taking them away and throwing them back onto the ground before our walk is over.  Fortunately, he doesn't even notice they are gone.  Someday I will give into a large indoor collection of plants...maybe.




No comments:

Post a Comment