Friday, September 28, 2012

"Cardboard Bowling" and "One Too Many Cooks in The Kitchen"

Sunday, September 23rd - "Family Writing Time" - So, Sunday is the Sabbath for us and it is usually a low-key day.  We also have Family Home Evening on Sunday - for those of you who don't already know, this a time we set apart to spend time together as a family.  For our Family Home Evening, I had something planned for Clint and I to discuss, but I knew it wouldn't hold Colton's interest.  Since Clint and I were going to be writing down ideas about our discussion, I got out colored pencils and paper for Colton to "write" on while we were writing.  He loves to draw, and it kept him occupied so that we could talk.  By the way, I know I already did this activity and so it wasn't new and it also wasn't very creative.  Sorry!  I am realizing just how hard it can be to schedule these activities into a busy day!

Monday, September 24th - "Stacking Blocks" - On Monday, Colton and I had a contest to see who could build the tallest tower.  Guess who won?  Just kidding... we actually worked together to build a tower, and then we threw balls and other toys at the tower to knock it down.  This activity is alot of fun and helps Colton develop his motor skills as well.  He loves putting other toys (like figurines) on top of his towers, so that is one way to change things up a bit with this activity.  Also, I have some awesome, large (about 3 inch wide) foam blocks.  I would recommend starting with large blocks when stacking, so that the kiddos can see some success with their towers.  Colton is just now getting better at stacking small blocks, but he doesn't enjoy it as much.

Tuesday, September 25 - "Cardboard Bowling" - The idea for this activity came from a site called sixsistersstuff.com.  For this activity, you need about six toilet paper rolls, or paper towel rolls cut to the size of toilet paper rolls.  Then, you need one large (preferably soft) ball.  You set the toilet paper rolls up on a hard surface, (like the kitchen floor), three in back, two in front of that, and one in the very front.  These are your toddler's "bowling pins" - Then, you show your toddler how to bowl, and cheer him on, replacing the toilet paper roll after he knocks them down.  I have to say, Colton lost interest in this game quickly.  He wanted to try to stack the toilet paper rolls instead, which was tough and a little frustrating for him.  So...this game was not a big success for us.

We also went to a nearby park with some friends and their toddler boys today.  Colton loves to play on the playground, and the boys also loved running around the field and little bridge they had there.  I think I have said this before, but active time outside is key with Colton.  He needs it!

Wednesday, September 26 - "Disney Store" and "One Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen" - Earlier today, Colton and I went to the mall with a friend and her daughter.  While there, we looked in the Disney store, which Colton loves.  He has been in there once before, and there is a tunnel, and TV screen, and loads of cool stuffed animals.  The trick is luring him away without purchasing anything - for this, we plan ahead and bring a cool distraction.  Also, we don't let him hold onto any one item for long.  This is a fun outing, though.

Tonight, I needed to use up some fruit, and I decided to make a fruit crisp dessert.  So...I decided to let Colton help me cook this time.  He has helped me stir dinner before, but this time I let him help me dump ingredients from measuring cups into a bowl, and then stir.  He really enjoyed it, but I would change a few things if I were to do it again.  First, I would choose a very simple recipe.  Next, I would prepare some ingredients to be poured and stirred ahead of time, because a toddler's attention span is soo short.  So...fun, but time-consuming, and a little stressful as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment